Holiday Giveaway with SA Curve Ruler! - The WordPress-generated falling snow has reappeared on my blog, which serves as a good reminder to busy ol’ me that the holiday season is upon us. In the ...
19 April 2010
After thinking about channeling my sewing energies into the types of clothes I'd use the most, I knew I had to sew pants. I love them. Really, I would not survive a week without a pair. A good number of my childhood memories include fighting my mom's attempts to get me into a skirt or a dress. I usually showed up to some special function defeated, trailing behind her in some monstrous, poofy thing with a bow, pouty and red-eyed. To this day, she's amazed when she sees me wearing a skirt or dress on my own accord.
I also have a weakness for the color red. So when I turned 30 last week, I decided that this would be my present to myself, 'cause it's my party and I'll wear red pants if I want to. Birthday pants!
Of course I didn't finish in time for the party due to my sewing skills (or perhaps over-ambition). The fabric is from a thrifted linen tablecloth and I used this pattern from 1968:
In hindsight, the pants probably were supposed to look something like this outfit from '68 (from the FIT online museum):
But in my head, the pants looked like this:
Oh, Audrey and her cigarette pants! So I kept making them slimmer and slimmer until now I've got tight pants. The side view here shows how fitted it is:
In addition to making the legs slimmer, I added patch pockets, using a pocket pattern from Wendy Mullin's Sew U, and lining them with a green plaid.
My biggest problem, by far, was fit, and this is probably because I altered the pattern so much from the original. I kept making the elastic waist tighter so it wouldn't shimmy down my okole and because the elastic waist is tight (thought not uncomfortable), I've definitely got some muffin-top action going on at the waist when I sit down. The crotch is a wee bit low and I think the upper thigh could use a 1/2 inch more in future incarnations.
But in all, it was a wonderful learning experience and they held up for their spin in the washing machine and on the town. Here are my lessons:
-I know I said this on the Marie skirt, but I can *really* do zippers now. Hooray!
-In addition, I can do patch pockets and use bias tape (for the hem)
-With pants, I need to be aware of how much fabric my backside requires. At first, it kept dipping below the front waistline. I also need to take into account the upper thigh. They need to be loose enough to not pull the crotch down.
-I prefer belt loops (as much as I hate sewing them) to an elastic waist
I love the ankle-length and will definitely attempt a similar pattern soon. I'd like to make them a bit looser in the leg without sacrificing the slim look. Far from perfect, but I'm pleased!